Development of the AMX-13 light tank started after the World War II. Production began in 1953 and ceased in 1987. There were built about 4 000 AMX-13 light tanks of all variants for the French Army and export customers. Other sources claim that 4 300 of these light tanks were built for the French Army and another 3 400 were exported. This tank has been exported to 25 countries. French Army retired AMX-13 tanks in the 1970s. However a large number of exported tanks are still operational today. Currently it is in service with over 10 countries. The AMX-13 light tank had a number of unusual solutions for tanks of that period. It was intended to support airborne troops and is air transportable. The hull of the AMX-13 Light Tank is all welded and is divided into three compartments: The driver and engine compartments are located at the front, and the turret is mounted at the rear. Probably the most distinguishing feature of the AMX-13 is its Fives-Gail Babcock two-part oscillating turret. The main gun is fixed in position in the upper half of the turret; to elevate or depress the gun, the upper half is pivoted onto the lower half. Use of this oscillating turret permits the adoption of an automatic revolver loading system in which each magazine holds six rounds. Initially, the main gun for the tank was the standard 75mm cannon with a single baffle muzzle brake. The gun had a rate of fire of one round every five seconds until the two six-round magazines were empty.