In 1921 the estate formally became his memorial museum. It was at first run by Alexandra Tolstaya, the writer's daughter. The current director of the museum is also one of Tolstoy's descendants. The museum contains Tolstoy's personal effects and movables, as well as his library of 22,000 volumes. The estate-museum contains the writer's mansion, the school he founded for peasant children, and a park where Tolstoy's unadorned grave is found.