The WC-51 was originally designed to carry an infantry heavy weapons squad. The exact composition of that squad changed during the war years, but often, it was a .30 or .50 caliber machine gun team or a 60 mm mortar team. More often these trucks were used as utility vehicles. These were the most numerous variant in the 3/4-ton WC line, with more than 48,000 produced. This one was delivered in January 1943.