The By?d?-in is a Buddhist Temple constructed in 998 during the Heian Era in the Japanese city of Uji (Ky?to prefecture). The building was, however, first established as a temple in 1052 by Fujiwara no Yorimichi. The previous owner, Minamoto no Toru, had used the building as a kind of country house. The By?d?-in consists of a central hall flanked by two corridor wings on both sides and a corridor at the rear. In the central hall, erected in 1053 and also known as the Phoenix Hall or Amida Hall, there is a portrait of the Buddha Amida.