Note: renders and shaders done with Vray
Iron Baby was a short video that went viral on the web in may 2010. It was a parody of Iron Man directed by Patrick Boivin with all 3D and effects by me Jocelyn Strob Simard and music by Eric Pfalzgraf. Our goal was to create a video with effects that could rivals the work ILM did on Iron Man. After 3 weeks we reached almost 5 millions views on Youtube and now the count has gone around 14 millions on our both accounts october 2012.
With these files you can study how the Iron Baby viral video was created and learn how to achieve feature film quality with 3ds Max and Vray. This is based on an actual file that was used to create the Iron baby video. I just removed the camera and modified the animation to create the thumbnails every 20 frames.
I am also selling an Iron Man version. Just take a look at my other items by clicking on my seller name.
Included are an extreme hi-rez HDRI I created for the environment and reflections and 2 different fire footages used for environment, lighting and reflection.
N.B: About overlapping UVs, they overlap because there are a lot of plates parts where the inside of the plate is using the same uv space as the outside of the plate. So it's perfectly normal and fine that they overlap in those areas.
-In order to avoid missing textures errors upon opening the file, choose the right project folder by using the 3dsmax project folder button. The folder is called '3dsmax'.
- For max 2012, be sure to install the latest service pack and hotfixes or you may get errors due to CAT having been rewritten.
- You need VRay for the shaders and render elements. If you don’t have VRay, you have to convert the shaders and render elements for your renderer.
- Render elements with all layers needed to achieve the result seen in the Iron Baby clip see the list lower
- RIGGED with CAT. Shape manipulator for controlling important body parts.
- Some expressions control some body parts but take note that some of those parts like the plates at the top of the tight and the plates in front of the ankles need some manual adjustment for to avoid interpenetration.
- 4090x4096 and 2048x2048 textures bump, diffuse, diffuseDarker, dust, glossiness, glossinessLow, paintScratch, reflection, reflectionDarker
- Clean edge-loops based topology
- Turbosmooths activated only at render time
- 3ds Max 2011-2012 versions have all shader created and organized in the slate editor for better adjsutment
- 3ds Max 2010 is also included but obviously no slate
- Environment scene file for rendering the background only. I also included the environement sphere hidden and set to non renderable in case you would like to create a pass with a pass system such as RPManager.
- The file is animated but with very simple movements just as an example.
- 2 fire footages 120 frames each and extreme hi-resolution 6592 x 3296 HDRI environment included.
- Perfect UVs.
- IB_ironBaby_rigged_hdri_fire_2011.max: light,shader,render, render elements for vray 1.50.SP5 with material organized in the slate editor
- IB_ironBaby_rigged_hdri_fire_2010.max: all the same but no max 2011 features like the slate editor
- HDRI environment 6592x3296
- Maps 4090x4096 and 2048x2048
- Fire footages 1600x900