Welcome to the new look of TurboSquid. To switch to the Classic site, click the link in the Footer.
gmax Community and Support : hardware/operating systems : Wanted : Windows Vista Beta users using GMAX or wanting to try it
Forum: Posts From:
Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Wanted : Windows Vista Beta users using GMAX or wanting to try it
Posted 19-Feb-2006 12:04 PM

Hey, I just got an idea. Most of you by now, know that Autodesk is preparing its developement staff for investingating how much GMAX would need to be changed to run under Vista. I am guessing they are in the same position as every other companies : waiting on Microsoft to get the necessary infos to start investigating.

Well, why don't we speed the process a bit ?

If any one of you has Windows Vista, would you be willing to start testing GMAX running in it and report back here all the problems you have encoutered (and possibly solved) ?

I believe that would give Autodesk some crucial infos into converting GMAX (if they need to do it).

So how about it ?

P.S. :this initiative isn't originating from Autodesk nor Discreet. It is my idea and I am not affiliated with them in any way.

frendovalya
Advanced Poster
426 Posts
2 Products
RE: Wanted : Windows Vista Beta users using GMAX or wanting to try it
Posted 20-Feb-2006 11:05 AM

I would say, talk with autodesks proper administration. See if they are willing first.

I recently hooked up with a new friend at Microsoft. I have been offered a chance to beta test software, but have also been asked to put my artwork into merchandising,  just yesterday.

My problem with all this is, as some of you may know, I want to say yes, to everyone. I have to make a decision here somewhere.

Lets see;

writing a book/simmars/Venice Italy project/artwork/studies/job/family/beta tester/,......okay Nope.

I wish I could, beta test Gmax and Vista, BrowserIce. It is an excellent idea! I just haven't got any extra time left.

From what I have been reading and hearing; Autodesk has an aggressive business since. They seem just the type, to get a jump on development, like you have suggested.

Harryfunk16
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 24-Feb-2007 4:54 PM

i just found out about gmax so i tried it on my vista computer. everytime i try to make something the screens kind of bleed together. i can fix it by shrinking the window but as soon as i click on something else, the same thing happens. is there a patch or upgrade i can download or am i pretty much SOL.
Pendaelose
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 22-Apr-2007 5:27 PM

Exact same problem here too.
merculiv
New Poster
3 Posts
Posted 10-May-2007 5:26 AM

One solution to working around fixing that issue is to use software mode for the rendering... it works great for me at least until gmax comes out with a patch for users to install in the future.  Open up GMAX and then go to Customize -> Preferences ->  Viewports -> Choose Driver and select HEIDI and select Software Z Buffer then click on OK and the OK again.  Once you have done that you will want to restart the program for the settings to take effect. Enjoy
cathouse
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 27-May-2007 8:46 AM

Hi

I'm glad I found this thread.

I just installed G-Max on my new comp running Vista and it went crazy.

After selecting the 'Heidi' driver it seems to work o.k. I'll know more after I've run it for longer.

Cheers

Roy

merculiv
New Poster
3 Posts
Posted 29-Jun-2007 8:12 AM

Let me know how these settings work out... I have'nt had time to test if there is any bugs with these settings over time. But I plan on using gmax to mod some planes for Flight Sim X if I don't use FSDS v3.0 first.
mark958
New Poster
4 Posts
Posted 04-Aug-2007 6:11 AM
Modified by mark958 On 04-Aug-2007  6:12 AM

I have been trying to get gmax to work properly since getting Windows Vista about a month ago. I found this subject post here today and tried the Heidi driver with Software Z-Buffer (MP) and it is now working a treat. I thought I had tried all the different drivers when I first noticed the problem when I installed gmax on Vista, I guess I mustn't have.

I am using FSDS V3 to model aircraft for FS9 and FSX (anxiously awaiting for V3.5 for better FSX compatability), although I do think gmax is better and more powerful tool. I just find FSDS easier to use than gmax.

Thank you very much for the help. Now I can continue to learn gmax better.
spannernick
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 27-Aug-2007 8:31 AM
Modified by spannernick On 27-Aug-2007  9:03 AM

Hi

How do you change gmax to the Heidi driver...??

Found out now..In the gamepack dir in gmax open gmax ini and look for "GFXType=HEIDI" and change that..

Its stoped ther flicker when moving but the opacity is not working great..:(

thinradred9
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 22-Oct-2007 11:17 AM

yeah, i have been trying to open gmax on my Vista laptop.  Normally it works, but right now, the window will appear and then immediately close.  And i cant open it again.  im gonna try restarting later, see if that gets me anywhere.
zi_thedragon
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 28-Oct-2007 12:16 PM
Modified by zi_thedragon On 28-Oct-2007  12:17 PM

I have tried it and it works but for some reson it uses more ram then it said it would when exporting with B.A.T. and hangs for about 35 min. I am trying to find out the problem right now.

I think that most likly there is a prosses string that keeps on duplikating.

JW Rom
New Poster
1 Post
2 Products
Posted 17-Jan-2008 6:24 PM
Modified by JW Rom On 17-Jan-2008  6:32 PM

When I changed to the HEIDI driver for the display, the clicking in the views problem completely gone, thanks for telling us that, its a miracle! I would have completly been up the creek without that knowledge. So I hope the next gmax, HEIDI gets the default display treatment for Vista.
X3modeller
Poster
31 Posts
Posted 12-Feb-2008 8:55 PM

Hi. i posted another thread in relation to this; but had not noticed this thread as it was likely back a few pages.

I'm running gmax on Vista with DX10 and having some minor problems; basically with the Material Editor. Aside from that; all Gmax functions that I've tried have worked. morphing, tesselating, smoothing, extruding, bevelling, attaching import/export scripts and using them, UVW wrapping, etc... basically; i have constructed a multi-element model with low tension tesselation and no smoothing--as i don't like the tension application of nurms or the other smoothing options--and had a great deal of success with it up to that point. It handles the high or low poly count models very well and has few glitches to speak of; that is, it doesn't seem to suffer the stress testing issues i had with XP.

Problem however is:

as per attached image:

I apply a material to a selection of poly's on the model with no prior UVW or Materials having been applied to it, then UV wrap half the model to demonstrate the application of material to unselected and selected poly's; following which, I collapse all, select the entire model, and apply all available materials from root--not all of which are shown in viewport or have .tga attached. Again; this is just for demonstration purposes. This on required two images as it seems the UVW modifier is missing after collapsing. If I apply material ID modifier at this stage it will map the entire with the original material applied. you'll notice the driver is Software z-buffer; I can't seem to use OpenGL or Direct3D as it causes all viewports to go white every time I try to manipulate something; excluding zoom with mouse, which always bumps it back to screen and allows me to zoom in and out.

any help with this would be appreciated; and i hope this helps :)

tearycone
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 19-Apr-2008 11:29 AM
Modified by tearycone On 09-Dec-2009  11:09 PM

nice nice job!
juggalojeremy
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 20-Jan-2009 12:47 PM

yes im running gmax on vista and when i click on the interface it turns white and creates a smaller window of the program but gmax is is still full screen
johnnytapley
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 11-Jul-2009 6:26 PM

Not sure if anyone is still reading this, but I'm using gmax with vista in xp sp2 compatibility mode with openGL and it works great.
Items per page