Welcome to the new look of TurboSquid. To switch to the Classic site, click the link in the Footer.
gmax Community and Support : tips and tricks : Chris Cookson's lost exporter/importer for GMAX/3d max
Forum: Posts From:
Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Chris Cookson's lost exporter/importer for GMAX/3d max
Posted 17-Apr-2005 12:37 PM
Modified by Browser_ice On 05-Nov-2007  5:23 PM

I have managed to contact Chris Cookson about his exporter/importer plugins he used to have on his old GMAX site that is no longer available. They are now residing on my personnal site (until I find another place).

Amongst them you have :

3ds importer v1.1 - gmax
dxf importer v1.1 - gmax
Half-Life SMD exporter v1.0 3d - max 4.2+
Half-Life SMD importer v1.0 - gmax/3d max 4.2+
md2 importer v1.1 - gmax
OBJ importer v1.1 - gmax
OBJ importer v1.1a - gmax
Quake-3 MD3 exporter - 3d max 6
Quake-3 MD3 exporter beta v1.0 - gmax
Quake-3 MD3 exporter v2.0.1 - 3ds max 4.2/5
Quake-3 md3 importer beta0.1 - gmax
Quake-3 md3 importer v1.0 - gmax
Return To Castle Wolfenstein mdc importer v1.1 - gmax
Return To Castle Wolfenstein MDS importer v1.0 - gmax/3d max 4.2
mdx importer v1.0- gmax/max4

P.S. : Chris is no longer working on any script/plugin but is still available for support questions.
ardecila
New Poster
6 Posts
RE: Chris Cookson's lost exporter/importer for GMAX/3d max
Posted 24-Jun-2005 12:03 AM

Could you please forward me with Chris' email address? I have an issue with the gmax MD3 export, and I'd like to see if I can work with him to solve it.

My email address is ardecila_@_k.st. Remove the underscores.

TailsKruzadeR
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 24-Jun-2005 11:38 AM

And I have an issue with the SMD import script. It doesn't run...
D2Diamond
New Poster
4 Posts
Posted 10-Jul-2005 9:45 PM

I got everything set up to import .obj files. I go to import the file and nothing happens. The object never shows up. Did I miss something? I didn't get an error message, the file just never showed up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Diamond

JFreak_11
Poster
24 Posts
Posted 14-Sep-2005 1:24 PM

The same thing is happenning to me! I really need help with this! I just got gmax and I want to start moddeling... but I can't because I can't get the models to show up! I'll give you a pic of what happens: Note: This is after I tried importing the model:

http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wierdgmax6pn.png

Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Posted 17-Sep-2005 2:36 PM

ardecila, sorry for late response but Chris is EXTREAMLY hard to reach. In 10 trials over 12 months, I managed to talk to him only 1 time. He isn't working on those for over a year. He is extreamly busy. If you still want to try, then I'll give it to you.

D2Diamond, which of Chris's plugin are you using ?

Can't help you until we know.

JFreak_11, you are trying to import or export and for what purpose ? I don't know that plugin in the image.

FistAlpha
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 21-Dec-2005 2:42 PM

hey is there an 3ds export for GMax?
ardecila
New Poster
6 Posts
Posted 22-Jan-2006 12:22 AM

Browser: well, I'd appreciate it if you could send some contact info my way. To be honest, I'd like to add batch functionality to the MD3 export plugin. All I'd really like from Mr. Cookson is the code to his plugin. I'd probably need an SDK of some sort to compile it properly, but I've gotta try.

FistAlpha: no, there isn't a 3ds export plugin, for one simple reason: if Discreet allowed gmax to save 3ds files, then it believes it would lose sales on 3dsmax, because it would now be almost as good.

angus454
1071 Posts
Posted 22-Feb-2006 7:03 AM

*UPDATE* It has been forever since I was here.. anyhow, just wanted to let everyone know I have added all the files above to my Gmax website

Here's the link: http://davidhsmith.net/Essential_Tools.htm

frendovalya
Advanced Poster
426 Posts
2 Products
Posted 23-Feb-2006 4:41 AM

Just wanted to say, thank you Browser Ice. Dandy handy linkage bud.
karlsteiner
New Poster
9 Posts
Posted 24-Feb-2006 6:12 AM

I have downloaded all gmax-plugins related to md3-exporter. But I cannot export objects with bitmaps textured.

I dont see any texture in 3dexplorer, but it says to me that coordinates are exportet.

Please can I have a connection to Chris maybe he can solve this problem.

I had made plenty of ship-models for VS.

Best regards

Karl

Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Posted 26-Feb-2006 10:29 PM

Tell us exactly :

1) complete folder path of where your MD3 model is

2) complete folder path of where your MD3 textures are

3) if you use a shader, the complete folder path to it and its content

4) did you have any problems/messages at all when you exported it ?

I'm obligated to ask you questions because Chris is Extreamly hard to reach (1 response over 50 emails over 12 months). So understand that instead of waiting months for an answer from him, you should first try to fix your problem with our help.

karlsteiner
New Poster
9 Posts
Posted 12-Mar-2006 6:28 AM

Thanks for your answer.

I will have a look and replay.

Please excuse but I am not direct linked with the internet.

I put the exported md3-object and the bitmaps into the same folder. If you want I can sent the origin gmax-file with the texture to you.

Many thjanks and

best regards

Karl

karlsteiner
New Poster
9 Posts
Posted 13-Mar-2006 4:54 AM

Hi,

I have created a rar-file with an example. Please give me the chanche this sent to you.

Best regards

Karl

NAVIGARE NECESSE EST

Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Posted 14-Mar-2006 9:09 AM
Modified by Browser_ice On 12-Oct-2008  4:57 PM

you can send me examples that you want me to investigate to :

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx

This is not my regular emails. Just one I rarely use. Spam precaution.

karlsteiner
New Poster
9 Posts
Posted 20-Mar-2006 5:41 AM
Modified by karlsteiner On 20-Mar-2006  5:42 AM

Hi,

please excuse the long time to answer to you. But I am not dir. linked to the internet, so I have to do that in a public office.

Meanwhile I have received an answer from Mr. Cookson, but he will NOT emprove his last version of the md3exporter plugin for our good old gmax 1.2. But I will try to get the original code of his plugin so a good programmer can do that.

Best regards

Karl

NAVIGARE NECESSE EST

P.S.:

If not I will send my file to you, thanks

Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Posted 20-Mar-2006 8:26 PM

If it is only a texture path problem inside the model, I think there used to be a workaround to directly edit the path inside the MD3 model and fix it.

Don't recall if it was done with MilkShape or something else.

karlsteiner
New Poster
9 Posts
Posted 21-Mar-2006 5:45 AM

Hi,

I don't use milkshape, you know. I am a Gmax fan and will furthzer use 3dexploration ver. 1.5.

Karl

NAVIGARE NECESSE EST

Halo_dogs
New Poster
6 Posts
1 Product
Posted 08-Apr-2006 8:55 PM

i think you need a .max importer because i have alot of .max files in a disk and i lost my 3ds max 5 disk when i moved so i cant use them anymore but i really want to in .gmax so can you find or make one
goldfox1
New Poster
6 Posts
Posted 14-Apr-2006 8:54 PM

OK, so i opened up Gmax, i created just a simple box (cube). And moved it around, making a few a key-frames of animation, making the box move to the side, up, back over, and back down, and back and forth & what-not...
OK-- so save that at, "animation_test.gmax"   close gmax, open gmax, open up "animation_test.gmax" File>Export
using those MD3 exporters I try to export... in frames: i type 0-99 (as i used just the default ammount of 100 frames, (and later read on splash damage forum that u were supposed to type in 0-14  if you had a total of 15 frams, not just type in the number 15, (or in my case, not just type in the number 100))))--(is this correct?)----but anyway,
I leave everything checkmarked and the orient to the "none" radio button, and the select only tag fields blank, save it as "thebox.md3" and hit Export.
I close gmax, i open gmax, i go to the Utilities tab, and MaxScript roll-out, and select the Import MD3 script. I make sure "Load Animations" is checked and select the "Load All" radio button; and leave "Prompt for missing textures" unchecked, and hit "Import MD3" button.  I select "thebox.md3" and press Import.

OK --- now here is where the wonderful part where Gmax becomes a worthless pile of you know what for me.
I get an error message box which reads in the header of the error window: "MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception"
in the window of the error is the yellow triangle with the black " ! " on it. and next to that reads:

"-- Type error: FilterString [String to filter] [Tokens] requires String, got: undefined"

and then there's just an "OK" button.

ok.... so. wtf does that mean?

I should just stop trying to how to use Gmax?  what do i do now? how do i resolve this problem? Should I try tanking my laptop, grab it by the screen and start slamming it up and down againt the garage floor? would this help at all? could someone please answer?

also i have discovered other (free) 3d program called Wings 3D. However, it does not do animations (probably as it is not polygon based, but "wing-links" or something like that, and that it is similar to the "Nendo" system.  Blender can do animations and export md3, but not md3 animations, oh yay, how wonderfully convienient, just my luck.  and getting an illegal copy of 3DS Max 5 seems to be just about impossible, since i don't feel like downloading (or have the room to) download 632 MB for CD1 and 502 MB for CD2, since i'm pretty sure that the trial version of 3dsmax7 is like only a um.. 100+something MB size download... but anyway.  this is all crap.  the only way i'm ever going to be able to make any kind of gun animation mods for ET is by have a copy of 3dsmax5, which seems to be impossible.  Seems the only way i could have gotten a copy of it is if i was doing this stuff back in 2004, but since it is now 2006 hard to find.
And if all you people are so frivilant about "Not committing any illegal acts! oh no they're out to get us! Big Brother is watching Us!" (which don't get me wrong, i'm sure they are/do, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue). but like i was saying dispite how much you are against condoning this, it seems as if all of you already have copies of 3dsmax 5 or 6 (i think 6 also has a md3 exporter, so i'll have to look for that veresion as well now, uhggg, but will probably be the same, "too big," bullroar.
I would like to gmax, or well not gmax since it probably wasnt their descision, but to discreet then, for being such geniuses in realeasing a 3d modeling program that you can't do crap with.  except for people like this, Chris Cookson, fellow, (who might as well be dead to us now) who come along and create something like an "md3 exporter for gmax plug-in!" which is by no means official, and just some guy (and a smart one at that, gifted with the knowledge of all of that codeing crap know-how stuff) who comes along and tries to make something tons of people will come and get to use.---And then! to have the business suits come and shake their grubby finger at people like him for creating such a thing! when it should be those morons who are creating/offering those sorts of exporters bundeld with their "Incentive-driven, free 3D-modeling community applications."  I've heard since their discontinuation of gmax, that now discreet is offering some free version of maya, called "maya 3d modeling learning kit" or something like that, putting more emphasis on the reason why they are releasing it for free with the applications own long-ass name.  However, I'm weary to even go and look into it, as I'm afraid that it is just going to be another worthless application like gmax, only 200+ MB in size this time instead. So a much larger pile of worthless junk than gmax is, as I'm guessing that it has no importers/exporters either.
Gmax DOES export .P3D.... ok but wtf is p3d? (yes of course i already tried googling it, genius) and have since downloaded some thing called "P3D2OB J," but naturally! i'm proud to say! that it didn't work! no! of course not! heaven forbid anything ever work!
                ok- that's enough i'm going to go and try and think of what i should do now... ugh.
But seriously, do answer someone (hopefully with an answer to my post about the error message, and not about anything else).
Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Posted 16-Apr-2006 7:19 PM

goldfox1, I totaly understand your frustration. You have a FREE tool to do what you want but you have problems doing it. Other means would mean almost geting into trouble. I know that too.

I don't recall if you have the latest MD3 exporter. Also, the MD3 importer might be defective so I would instead try to import the MD3 model into Quake-3.

I haven't done any MD3 things for 2 years. I'll try to do something and get back here. It might take a few days as I can't always get my hands on my PC at all times.

Browser_ice
4022 Posts
1 Product
Posted 16-Apr-2006 8:48 PM

Goldfox1, I created a 3 simple objects : box with face extruded toward inside + cylinder looking like a wheel + 1 stretched box.

I exported them into an MD3 file with Chris's MD3 exporter, with animation frame 0

I didn't get any error messages. I admit I didn't have animations at all.

I started up Tempest, added a quake entity, set entity to misc_model, set model path to my exported model. I could see my model in the Quake map I had on my Tempest viewports.

If you can export an object (or a group of object) without any animations, then the problem is with the animation export. If you cannot, then you have a problem with either your object or your MD3 exporter.

Make sure your objects are all collapsed editable mesh.

simosimo
New Poster
2 Posts
Posted 18-Apr-2006 1:09 PM

Is there any working .gmax to .obj -exporter? Where could i get one?
ZachYoung
New Poster
1 Post
Posted 22-Apr-2006 11:39 PM
Modified by ZachYoung On 22-Apr-2006  11:41 PM

Is there any OBJ exporter for gmax? Anyone could write it?
LOTR Junkie
Poster
24 Posts
7 Products
Posted 09-Oct-2007 12:25 PM
Modified by LOTR Junkie On 10-Oct-2007  11:45 AM

Wow, BIG thanks for that OBJ import script. I'm doing some modeling for a game mod with Blender, and that script is going to make a world of difference for getting models with UV coordinates into Gmax after my 3DS trial runs out.

[Edit] If an exporter ever gets written that would be awesome too. Currently I have to play musical formats with game models and use multiple programs to get them into Blender.

[Edit 2] Found an exporter! [url=http://yayap.com/xzzy_obj_tool.ms]link[/url] It won't work directly though, you have to use scriptlistener to copy and paste the output to a text file. Then you rename the .txt to .obj and it should work.
Items per page Page