The Westphalia Colliery was established in Ahlen at the beginning of the 20th Century. On 1st February 1909 work began to sink shafts 1 and 2. The infrastructure required was also created at the same time – this included the road connections, the colliery railway and the mine’s own brickworks. The site has been used as an industrial estate and a performance venue since 2006. In the former wages hall and “Weißkaue” various high-tech companies, among others, and an organic catering firm have their headquarters.