Originally designed in France in 1915, the mortar showed high mobility and operational abilities during the Champagne offensive of September 25, 1915. 'Mortier de 240 mm' in French designation was new type of mortar, specially developed for trench warfire. The mortar base was immovable secured into heavy wooden nest, that reduced fire pressure on the ground. The mortar carriage sat on the base and could traverse by long wooden handles. The barrel was mounted on the carriage, wich provided elevation. All mechanic elements were quite simply and could work perfectly in very hard conditions of the trench warfire. This succeeded to the mortar and year after it was adopted by UK and Italy under designation '9,45 inch Heavy Trench Mortar', and was nicknamed the 'Flying Pig' after bomb shape by British soldiers. This became unofficial name of the weapon. After capturing some examples from Italy, Austro-Hungarian made own version of it, designed as '24 cm Minenwerfer M.16'. This led the mortar be popular worldwide during World War, used on the both sides of the front.