The Bauhaus is a group of buildings in Dessau-Roßlau. It was constructed between 1925 and 1926 to designs by the architect Walter Gropius. The original Bauhaus Dessau was a school building for the Bauhaus School of Art, Design and Architecture. From 1965 onwards, parts of the building, which were destroyed in the war or had been structurally altered, have been reconstructed in the style of the original building. In 1976 the site was restored and modernised. In 1996 and 2006 further maintenance work took place following conservation principles.